I recently noticed a friend of mine, declaring on her social media page – ‘Life begins at 30!’ It was her birthday. In reply to this, a female friend of hers wrote – ‘… and so do wrinkles and all the other perils of ageing’.
Today I’d like to talk about our bad habits that contribute to the visible signs of ageing. So, let’s become aware of a fact first, before we talk about the bad habits.
Fact: The first wrinkle or the first grey hair is only a visible sign of the ageing process. Their appearance on your body is a mere visible indication only. In fact after the age of 25, the body begins to degenerate gradually and this is visible later, at about the age of 30.
Note: The bodies of different people function differently. So you may find your wrinkles appearing on your siblings or best friends appear well after the age of 35. So don’t go by what you see on others. You may age earlier than them. Your genes determine when these changes will be visible on you.
Certain habits that most of us adapt to regularly contribute the ageing process to a great extent. Not only do these age you, but they play a great role in making you look older than you are and at a premature stage. See for yourself whether these habits are part of your regular life.
1. Don’t be too skinny: Leading dermatologists opine that loss of facial fat causes sagging and a gaunt, aged appearance.
Also, going on crash diets or starving is a big no-no. If your sudden and immense weight loss is due to an illness, consult a doctor for a healthy diet regimen, which you can follow to cope with the subsequent weight loss.
2. Don’t rub, pull or tug on sensitive areas: Vigorous pulling, tugging and rubbing on delicate skin around the eyes can cause darkness of the skin.
3. Don’t under sleep: The skin restores and rejuvenates itself on its own at night, while you’re sleeping. It repairs itself, so anti-aging products can penetrate better. Also less sleep is harmful for your body clock as well, that imparts a tired and dull look on your face.
4. Don’t sleep on your side: Sleeping on the side may seem cosy and comfortable, but it’s not too good for your skin, as this leads to wrinkles along your neck area. Also, sleeping on the stomach is not advisable, as pressing your face for 8 hours against a pillow can break down the skin, causing wrinkles. As a rule, always sleep on your back.
5. Don’t sip/ smoke: We all know smoking wreaks havoc with our bodies and kills us. Sipping out of a straw also speeds the ageing process around your mouth area, leading to fine lines and deeper laughing lines.
6. Don’t live with stress: Stress is part of our lives today, but it’s important to learn to unwind and leave your worries for good. Exercise, music, a book that you’ll die for, a vacation or some quality time with kids, friends and family can do wonders for your body and skin. You can also give meditation, a relaxing massage a shot to relieve the stress. Develop an outlet to let go of the stress in your life.
7. Don’t forget the sunscreen: Sun protection is a must for everyone today, considering the pollution levels and the harmful effects of the ultraviolet rays on our skin. If your work requires you to remain outdoors for 90% of your day, re-apply the sunscreen after every 3-4 hours. Also go for a higher SPF. Ideally, an SPF of 30 is good for women who are indoors most of the time.
Note: Computers and mobile phones also emit radiation that is damaging for your skin. Use a good sunscreen if your sin is sensitive.
8. Don’t ditch the Elixir: Water is a magic potion and if you notice fine lines on your face, far before your 30th birthday, then it’s time to hydrate yourself. Dehydrated and moisture less skin ages faster. So drink, drink and drink.
9. Don’t forget sunglasses: When you’r out in the sun, wear sunglasses always. Repeated squinting can easily lead to wrinkles and lines around the eye area. Sunlight can also cause pigmentation, if your eye area is exposed.
10 . Don’t forget the moisturizer: As we age, our skin becomes loose and drier. The dryness happens because the skin produces lesser oil. So the cardinal rule is to moisturize. And you must not only moisturize your face. Pay special attention to your hands and neck as they reflect your age, much more than your face. So now you know why most actresses and old women flaunt a taut facial skin, but ragged and loose skin on their neck and hands.
And your body needs some moisture too! If not a cream, then you can surely treat with oil, cant you, beautiful ladies?
So these were the common habits that play a major role behind the fine lines you spot on your face, one fine day. Take care not to continue these habits to flaunt a youthful and glowing skin all the time. Stay radiant Ladies! :)
Images sourced from Google.